Monday 28 November 2011

Fox Strike


 It is a sad fact that owners of chickens will at some point be visited by a blood thirsty Rufus. There is really no point in getting too upset as the fox is simply doing what foxes do. The best means of defence is to erect fox proof chicken houses which frankly is nigh on impossible.

We have kept chickens for some years and thanks to various defence stratagems which have ranged from barricading the hen house with branches to sitting up all night with night vision goggles and a shotgun, have never lost a chicken to a fox. That is until earlier today.

I went out this morning to clean the hen house and immediately noticed a pit under the electric fence, that was not there last night. I had a fairly good idea of what had happened, not least because there was a mass of bloodied feathers nearby (I’m nothing if not observant!). Having opened the house I could see that we had lost a chicken.

Tonight I’m camping out by the hen house with a shotgun to hand. Foxes do what they do and I do what I do which is to nail the bastards!

No comments:

Post a Comment